Sunday, September 24, 2006

He Has Never Let Me Down

Finally managed to make it to the Book Fair at BMICH on Friday. Wasn’t too impressed with the selection and the crowd was mind-boggling. Managed to get my hands on just two books from “Norman Vincent Peale” – “ Courage and Confidence” & “The Power of Positive Living”. He’s on of em authors one would never get fed up of. I was hoping I would be able to find the book of poetry by “Richard De Soysa”, but in vain. None of the local publishers seem to be having it. Please if anyone does have it, please don’t hesitate to contact me, I’d give anything to have that book or at least a photocopy.

On the spooky side, yesterday the car went absolutely dead for no apparent reason around Mount junction. The key just turned and twisted around the keyhole, but not a hum or even an attempt to start. So I stalled it right in the middle of the road, got mummy out of the car and jumped outa the car myself. Having had the experience of being in a flaming car, I so didn’t want to be there when the darn thing exploded. A fellow was I guess trying to pull a fast one by asking us whether we want the car made, and a cop was getting all concerned about the traffic which was building up. He suggested that I jump in the car and he helps me push it to a corner, and with shaky limbs, that’s exactly what I did, but low and behold, the minute I stepped in to the car all the lights started blinking without ever inserting the key to start. It could jolly well be an ultra spooky technical defect, but I’ve no doubt that it was God’s hand working to stall the car and delay us for a few minutes to save us from a catastrophe that would have happened if not.

God is Good……All the Time !

6 comments:

Lady divine said...

trust me, i've been thru situations like that too..and yes God is good all the time. Praise Him! i managed to creep into the bookfair myself and just managed to buy 2 books for meself..:) gosh the amount of people and what i cant stand is the way they just push you around as if they cant see u and the horrible body odour everywhere!! this is wajinie btw.:)

Anonymous said...

the book fair was the disaster..all those book worms searching for books to past the time and 'ICE' while at their jobs...:P

maybe you need to check ur distributer contacts :P

Radikal Zee said...

i prefer calling d book fair as d ideal event for people to show-off that they read books...damn all those ppl who returned without any books in their hands...stupidos...

next time surely an admission fee shd b charged so d crowd will be minimized...sri lankans n freebies just dont fit...

Gobblezygook said...

Lets not get too harsh on the Sri Lankans :)I think the book fair is a superb idea (as always), even though it doesn't really cater to my fancy.It's nice to see em Sri Lankans get crazy over books than war and vandalism.

Anonymous said...

hey judith!!!

how's it goin??? i know i hav been away from the blogsphere for quite a bit... but waz just catchin up on ur latest blog... and yea me and my best pal shalini too wanted to go to the book fair, but we NEVER read... so why bother?? no point in being a hypocrite ya?

as for the car stalling... well i dunno, i guess yea it waz a work of god... good to hear u managed to get through it safely!!

so wat u upto these days??? i wrote two new blogs... hope u can comment on dem, when ur free!!!

tc buddy and cheerzz!!!

Adrian.

Anonymous said...

Colombo wouldn't be colombo without overheated cars, curious passers-by-cum-oportunists who'd nick a burning car given the chance, impatient/irritable (be it overweight?) police constables and ...er book fares with crap books. Sri Lanka, i love you really, and missing you terribly.

Keep up the writting (even if your bored).