Monday, May 01, 2006

First day at Panadura

It’s 5 in the morning and I haven’t had any sleep since 3 a.m, whether it is due to the gripping fear of some creature trying to strangle me dead or due to the sheer excitement this place had offered me, I’m yet to figure out. I wasn’t speaking of em imaginary creatures and monsters who hide inside closets, but real living breathing, fluttery, gooey, icky, soggy, long legged, colourfully ugly creatures.

Started with a ‘pol kuruminiya’ (that’s what my uncle called it) inside my blouse in the morning and ended with a scary looking grasshopper sitting right on top of my bed-sheet and glaring down at me, a if I was some sorta God sent yummy dish for him to devour on. Did I forget to mention about the big fat ‘thalagoya’ in the garden?

It is 5.50 a.m and it suddenly got bright outside, I’m opening the window even as I am typing this and all I see is green, all I hear is the chirping of em feathered ones (they actually start chirping as early as 4 a.m) and feel a lovely cool breeze attempting to break in to my room. The rest of the household is fast asleep and even thought there lingers a sense of loneliness somewhere in my soul it’s overtaken by a strong essence of peace I have never felt before.

Boxes and boxes of things are yet to be unpacked and everything is waiting to be placed in order, the painting and polishing is half done, but the world looks beautiful amidst all of this. The war is going on in Sri Lanka for a reason I don’t understand, me being an individual from the minority, was warned about wanting to settle down in Panadura, due to the fact it being surrounded by the majority, but I adore all these people and they love us back without a doubt. I really do love these people here. Warm hearts, open doors and smiling faces, what more can I ask for? Amidst all that is going on in the country, the world still looks beautiful to me. Em ugly blotches ruining the beautiful creation no longer annoy me.

The guy who has undertaken the painting, as well as his crew are believers who start the day with a hymn and prayer. Lovely ! A carpenter lives right opposite my premises. A vehicle mechanic is a buzz away, a superb welder lives a few houses away, an electrician a lane away and things are much cheaper here (a broom is Rs. 50/- here while it’s a freaking Rs.85/- in Colombo). I’m yet to figure out the rest of em humble luxuries waiting for me.

I saw a mummy monkey with a baby monkey in the garden today. (Yippy, I finally saw a monkey) ! But on the sad note, Johnny is lost, he has gone on a lil exploring trip and I only hope he’ll find his way back. Silly Dog !

7 comments:

Chamendra Wimalasena said...

Dun worry yeah :D dogs always find their way back! lol :) well.. with a few friends usually! I never knew someone would take to panadura so wholeheartedly? but i suppose from the up north.. the down south would always be a pleasant welcome :)

Gobblezygook said...

For someone who was about to die without enough oxygen in the atmosphere, any sorta greenery is a luxury....hehehe. I guess that's the biggest turn on about Panadura ;)

Gobblezygook said...

Johnny boy came back early last morning, not with friends,but with a massive bleeding hole on the bum :)

dilsiriw said...

when do we get invited for lunch?

Darwin said...

Sounds like a nice place you got there. Goodluck!

Kaiser Kobayashi said...

Yes...when DO we get invited for lunch??? (ps. you can take me out and i'll tell everyone that you sent us ALL an online invite for lunch) hehehe as for the monkey...im assuming the mirrors were unpacked around the same time you saw these SO CALLED monkey's...:p heheh...anyways nice to hear your finally settled...let me know when the house warming is...i'll buy you a toaster or a weird looking candlestick or something and come over :)
seeya kanga. Cheers!!!!

Anonymous said...

its time for a new post :D