Sunday, April 30, 2006

Adieu My Childhood Hometown

Shifted off from Wattala to Panadura (FOR GOOD) on Saturday (29th). It was almost close to midnight when we got our bums down here after bidding em old neigbours good-bye. Aunty ‘T’ hugged me and cried, which came as quite a shock. She happens to be the lady to whom I give a lift every morning (for the past 1 ½ years). She is a tough ‘recovery officer’ at a leading bank and has ample exciting stories to entertain us. Sometimes, it’s a story that continues for a coupla days, of wonky clients and bureaucratic, lethargic colleagues. I was quite moved by her reaction, I never expected to mean so much to someone.

‘L’ came along and was spending the last few minutes chatting away, but it meant nothing to me now. No…’L’ ain’t a guy (grin), she’s just my childhood best friend and immediate neighbour. I guess we’ve lost touch in the midst of getting lost in the rat race. It was no use speaking about the good times we had, the games we played till midnight, the years we had lost and how fast we’ve all grown up. True, ‘Kattiyawatta’ was where I grew up, but somewhere down the line, I had lost the warmth I felt for the place (or may be I never felt any warmth at all, due to all the horrible memories the place carries). Em neighbours are nice & thoughtful, really…they loaded us with food and drinks before we set out, they have been there for us for the past 19 years, but there is something missing. Something I expect ain’t there and I don’t know what it is for sure (so let me withhold my judgment).

Zebu died Friday night and even though it would be wrong to reason out why the healthy dog just faded away, I believe he was sent to us for a reason beyond our comprehension. So it was only Johnny for the car ride, this being his first time, he was going bananas. A few minutes on daddy’s lap, and then a trip to the backseat to be on mummy’s lap and then back to the front again, an attempted leap outa the windscreen and an attempted leap outa the shutter. He was nothing short of a mess; he would suddenly creep through dad’s lanky feet and start licking my legs, which were busy driving (which was quite a dangerous, pleasant surprise).

The ‘Panadura – Horana’ road ain’t the rosiest path, but the drive was all worth it. The house looked gorgeous at night (Yeah, this is the first time I’ve laid eyes on it at night). All I had the strength to do was, eat and sleep, of course with my dirty clothes.

I’m loving the weather, controlled by all the trees surrounding this area. The nights aren’t too hot and fan is just an option. The afternoons are warm these days, but pleasantly warm, not to a boiling point.

Overall, I’m thrilled to glory with this place (even though it ain’t blessed with ADSL) and all thanks and praises be to God ! What would I be without HIM ?!?

The following was the devotion for the day in the ODB yesterday.

à I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me out of a horrible pit (Psalms 40 : 1-2)

From sinking sad He lifted me,
With tender hands He lifted me,
From shades of night to plains of light,
O praise His name, He lifted me !

2 comments:

Chamendra Wimalasena said...

Well what can i say.. ur lucky to live near the ocean :) Hope u found that peaceful part of the beach you'd like to own :D

Gobblezygook said...

I don't live by the beach..ehehe, quite away from the beach. Guess it's about a 15 min drive. Planning to explore the bech next week :)