Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Heat Strokes

The heat is killing me, slowly, but surely steadily. I suffered quite a number of heat strokes yesterday and falling asleep (even with the fan on in full swing) was another torment by itself.

I detest the urban areas, I really do. I saw a minor accident yesterday. A van overtook from the left and hit a motorbike, which threw the passenger off the bike like a blob. It was then that it occurred to me that we are mere vegetables, nothing but lumps of cartilages. But the scary part is, we clumps of blobs are on an adventure to take on the earth (smirk).

I wish there were lesser vehicles, more trees. I wish Colombo were like it was 50 years back. No, I ain’t against the technological advances, all of them can still happen whilst preserving lovely nature. Where did we go wrong, at what point did we fail to notice and are some of us still blinded of the tragedy about to befall the nation (I say nation, coz I have no right to speak about global issues or I’d rather not make it my business coz I am more concerned about my country, the soil where I was born).

I wish we could go back to living in mud huts, ride bullock carts and get away from this rat race. It’s been almost a year since I’ve tried to break away, but not a chance, every body around me expects me to be a rat in the race, everybody around me keep dragging me forward every time I stop to take a break. One more year, they like or not, I will break away. I will stop running this race, the never-ending race of avarice, the need to own more, the latest, the best, and the flashiest. Arghhhhhhh! When will it ever end?

Environmentalists never made any sense to me before. I thought they were a bunch of jobless extremists who only cared about preserving nature, but boy! Weren’t they right all along? I fear to think what would become of us within the next decade. How long will we have the comforts of electricity, and fuel? Oh sure we have alternatives, but how long will they too survive? Have we exploited these God given gifts too fast too soon?

Just as much as I wanted to see an economic boom in Sri Lanka a few months back, I now believe the best leader is chosen to strengthen the agricultural sector. We don’t see it coming now; a scarcity of edibles will overtake us like a thief in the night. We may have the dough but have no food to eat, all the rivers will be soiled that we will be left with no clean fluids to lubricate us blobs.

I don’t now how, but I wish some one broke this system down, other than a power hungry political party of course. I wish our leaders as well as the citizens had genuine love for our country. The past few days, I’ve seen plenty posters carrying the slogan “Ape Kama” (My Tush)!. Why don’t we start up by cleaning up the garbage we scatter across the streets, why don’t we start by planting a tree in our premises? I’ve come to a conclusion that it’s not about the amount of trees we cut to make furniture, but the amount of trees we plant in return.

Never thought a simple heat stroke would get my mind this messed up !

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would thank the heatstroke for you to be able to see the reality of life here in Colombo, If more people had heatstrokes like yours and something about it then maybe things might get better...... Or maybe the Apathy of it all might kill us if it hasn't already help !!

Kaiser Kobayashi said...

hehehe i kinda sorta knew a heat stroke would induce things as such...hehehe...but then again..thats just me!
and just for the record i read somewhere that the heat in SL is somewhat due to the large number of cars that travel around with just one person in it...you know..no pasengers, just the driver going here and there...hehehe...guilty kanga? :p

ps. i know the heat will make you extremely violent...so...relax...ok...breathe love...breathe...killing dimi for his sarcy comments is a waste of a bullet. :D (good girl)

sittingnut said...

heat really seems to have messed your mind up :-)

as you probably know in more lucid moments, one just have to go few km out of colombo to enjoy unspoilt nature. though you will probably not get away from the heat that quickly bc that is part of nature at this time of the year.

as for sri lankan agriculture, it may have a future only if we commercialize it. helping paddy farmers destroy value by producing something that is worth less than the inputs, as the present government do will not help anybody.

ppl have been predicting food and oil shortages, environmental catastrophes etc. since the time of malthus they never come to pass nor will they in the future. if some of the predictions i heard in the eighties (and wrote school essays about) pronounced by the some very 'intelligent' ppl came true we would have run out of oil by now. instead confirmed oil reserves now are greater than then. that is only the confirmed ones.

not all environmentalists are extremists but lot of them are smart ppl who know how to earn their living. :-)

dilsiriw said...

hi there
well i should introduce you to my former diving guru. i really admire him. he live the life. gave up everything - sold his house in colombo, went and live in a 40 acre plot of land in ruwanwella living amongst n with the villages playing the drums for the temple and looking after his new found craze - elephants! he earns his living off the land - let the rains flood the river which places seeds in the land - people buy it from him....hmmm....sleep in the afternoons get a cup of tea after that, no telephone calls after 5pm, so relaxed no heat no worries no nothing...

Gobblezygook said...

Hmmm...may be I was thinking out loud, WRONG..and it seems messed up..But guess there ain't no solution to the torture we go through anyway. I still think that we are moving too fast, too soon :(

Anonymous said...

yes, I too used to have thoughts of escaping this crazed stressful city life, and having the calm peaceful life away from all this...

but u were saying u wanna ride bullock carts instead of ur car? hehehe... well as much as that may sound peaceful, I certainly am not in any way inclined to give up driving to ride in bullock carts.

another thing i realised was that no matter how much we want to lead the peaceful life, eventually you will miss the hustle and bustle of the city life.....

cos afterall... dats wat our life's made up of!

Darwin said...

The cold is driving me mad here.

Stooopid Bush and Kyoto