Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Renovating the Cottage

The Wattala residence was finally sold yesterday, Praise be to my Master! We are officially homeless till we complete the buy at Panadura, so guess we’d be here for another 3 weeks, the most.

The thought of leaving itself has left me quite high, even though it has left the rest of the family in a grumpy mood. I never liked this house actually I hate it. I really, really do, may be even more than I hate my vegetables.

Finally decided on the colours to dress the cottage in Panadura, but still contemplating on whether or not to tile it. Went tile hunting today and boy! Didn’t it get my head spinning?

Naveen Ceramics – Customer service is unheard of here and prices are the same as any other major tile importer.

Rocell (a.k.a Royal Ceramics) – Daddy seems to be quite taken back by their quality, but as for me, I am totally knocked out by their price. They are thrice as much as the imported tiles. Sri Lankan product of a high quality at unaffordable prices as usual

Y2K Ceramics – Superb customer service, but the prices aren’t any lower than the rest of the importers and not too much of a selection.

Terracotta – Even though this is my personal favourite out of the list of preferences it’s the same price as the ceramic tile, more fragile and needs more maintenance. My folks seem to be totally against it.

Overall, tiles are too freaking expensive, I think I’ll probably go ahead with an alternative.

I got to wait till I build my own house to get it my way. Kabok boundary, rugged walls and granite floor and curtains made outa gunny. May be I’m exaggerating a wee bit, but this is exactly what’s on my mind. Any attempts to implement them right now would definitely leave me homeless.

I couldn’t help noticing a house down Horton Place, a few yards before Barista. Simple as it is from the outside, the house that was once white is now painted “samara”. It looks just amazing, but the walls have been tainted by a bright purple, which takes away the rugged, earthy look of the entire house. Arrghhh….I hate ultra clashing colour combination. Sure I’m no expert, but guess I like it that way.

Just as much as renovating or building a house is tiring, it sure has the ability to give the owner a sense of SATISFACTION and leave her with a BUZZ. I’m loving it, just as much as I’m hating it.

Other than that, I got my hands on two must read books today :

"Gods That Fail – by Vinoth Ramachandra"
His wife, Karin, who is my lecturer, recommended this book at the last weeks lecture. I’m still to grasp the book, but reading a few pages from all over the book, I just can’t wait to claw it down.

"It’s About Time - by Ken Smith"
Came across this book by accident, but I am loving every word in it. It is more like a self-help book, which is a must read for every Christian. It helps one think rationally about how to strike a balance in the day-to-day life, how to handle procrastination (I sure have a PhD in it), anxiety and over commitment. I believe I found this book at the correct time to rearrange my ultra messed up schedule.

5 comments:

of a cuddlywuddly & a monstrously cute creature said...

Take a walk down Nawala Road - there are heaps of tile shops, all reasonably priced. Just make sure that the shop has sufficient stocks of whichever tile you choose...

Don't you just LOVE deciding on things for a new house! It's almost like giving a child a huge white sheet of paper and heaps of crayons!

Anonymous said...

There's also a place in Kottawa where they have 'b' grade rocell tiles (with slight defects detected by their quality assurance - generally not visible to the untrained eye). they're cheap but in limited quantity - however the selection is very good.

Gobblezygook said...

Hey Anony..I went to the Rocell yard in Nawala yesterday and was informed about this particular Kottawa yard. Was too lazy to drive back and the heat was unbearable, may be I will give it a try. Thank you.

Kaiser Kobayashi said...

Kabok boundary, rugged walls and granite floor and curtains made outa gunny?

Hmmm sounds intersting...So...if i be really really nice to you and take you out for lunch will you help me decorate MY house? (assuming i'll actually own something of the sort in the not-so-distant future?) huh? huh? huh? will ya? will ya? hehehe...and i wish i could be nice and helpful like the other people who commented but i dont know jack-shit and tiles, houses or anything of the sort for that matter...urban retard :s hehehe
poor poor dimi :(

Gobblezygook said...

Yeah...its all about filling the empty space with colour Nuzi. The whole process has sure left me with a mild buzz :)

Well Dims...You dont need to know jack about houses, I got plenty more to thank you for :)