Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Markadamus Twainus

Criticize him or praise him? …….I wouldn’t know…..I got reading about the dude….I got carried away and fascinated as usual….It all began coz some one I know sent me a quotation by Mark Twain’s “Letters from the Earth”

“It is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies”

I had to read up more about Mark Twain the minute this caught my eye….I had to read more than Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer I’ve browsed through in my childhood…What was he? Was he (really) anti or pro Christian? It wasn’t to clear to see at a glance by reading the quote. So that’s where me got digging……

No where does it say that he accepted Christ? Jew’s yes…..a Jew hater, later turned to praising them…but did he really accept them……NO…his mind was wavering…..from whether or not they were worthy enough to be respected or not……..

Yes…he was a Christian hater to a certain extent……Geez…I wish I knew him then to let him know…To let him know that It ain’t about a neighboring Jew and neither is it about Christians…..but it’s about Jesus (the trinity rather…Father, Son & the Holy Spirit)….It’s a personal relationship with the creator…and the creator alone.

Quotes----------
For England must not fall: it would mean an inundation of Russian & German political degradations which would envelop the globe & steep it in a sort of Middle-Age night & slavery which would last till Christ comes again--which I hope he will not do; he made trouble enough before.
(Letter to W. D. Howells, 1/25/1900)

There has been only one Christian. They caught him and crucified him--early. (Notebook, 1898)

You can never find a Christian who has acquired this valuable knowledge, this saving knowledge, by any process but the everlasting and all-sufficient "people say." In all my seventy-two years and a half I have never come across such another ass as this human race is. (Mark Twain's Autobiography)

Unquote------------

I’m saddened by the fact that he only looked at the world….and not in to his heart……all his quotes are criticizing a cast, creed or a nation…..(how could he…grrrrrr) My biggest question still remains unanswered…..even after all the digging and finding…..Intellectual & brilliant as he is….How come that he never found the TRUTH?

He sure made some statements which were unbiased and true as well :-

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.

There are several good protections against temptations, but the surest is cowardice. (Following the Equator -1897)

When a person cannot deceive himself the chances are against his being able to deceive other people. (Mark Twain's Autobiography)

I’ve had enough criticizing Marcadamus Twainus……but my question still remains as to what was going on in the mind of the person who sent me quote…..(grin…grin….) Now that…I may never know……..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Watch the rest of the matrix movies